Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Amherst Farm Winery

The curiosity began one day last Spring when my cousin claimed she saw a large foot in the back of a building while driving up Rt. 9 in Amherst. I was driving at the time so I didn't think much else about it besides it being a perfect reason to tease her about "seeing things". Later, that same building had a large barrel placed out front, and I could feel my winery loving self growing excited. After all-- what do feet and barrels have in common? Wine!

...turns out I was right. A few weeks ago my mom called me to let me know that she'd been driving past and saw a new sign for the Amherst Farm Winery. It said there were wine tastings from 11am-5pm.

The winery is newly opened. So new, in fact, that the orchard adjacent to it is filled with baby trees that will grow into tomorrow's wine producers. For now, they are getting their fruit from other local orchards.

Their wine selection was lovely, with many sweet and fruity choices. Among them: blueberry, raspberry, strawberry, apple, pear, and peach. There were also red and white options mostly named after local things, which made me happy, Amherst being my college town and all that. They also had a limited time availabilty of a Diva wine (proceeds to breast cancer) that is chocolate raspberry. It tastes even better than it sounds!

 The atmosphere is very Western Massachusetts placed inside a large barn with natural sunlight. There is a store with wine products on the other side of the wine wall and it looks like eventually there will be an open window bottling room, and upstairs may be a private tasting area.
So...if you get a chance, take a trip and check it out! The tastings are the local standard of  $5 to try 6 wines and the glass is complementary. I know this won't be my only visit!


No comments:

Post a Comment