Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Leftovers and frosting guns....

A big bowl o'rice--

That's what I was left with after my grandmother's birthday party this weekend. A big mixing bowl full of wild and basmati rice. So naturally, this week's challenge: How many ways can you use rice without getting bored or spending more money?

This is the account rice meal Number 1:                 Coconut Rice and Beans

            I took some coconut oil and cooked up some green onions, minced garlic, and baby bella mushrooms. Then I added a drained can of black beans and cooked for about 5 minutes or so, seasoning with garlic powder, sesame seeds, and Mrs. Dash.

In another pan, I added a half a can of light coconut milk, and added the already cooked rice, cooking until the liquid had been absorbed into the rice.

I served it along with some blue corn tortilla chips and mango peach salsa.

I know it doesn't look like much, but it was good hearty comfort food and my guests seemed pleased!

For Dessert:   GF Pumpkin Cupcakes!!


You may remember me speaking of the little accordian frosters I had used to decorate the cake for the baby shower. Well, they had an unfortunate accident last week involving an accidental knock into the sink, running water, and the garbage disposal. :( When I went to Pampered Chef to buy some new ones...I saw something even better:

a frosting gun with interchangable, removable tips!!!

Naturally, I couldn't wait to use it, so in addition the rice I brought to Grandma's birthday, I also brought pumpkin cupcakes. The cupcakes were super easy. I just used some GF yellow cake mix ( I bought mine at Ocean State Job Lot really cheap), and replaced the water with a can of pumpkin. The frosting is your basic cream cheese and powdered sugar. I know it looks like I used all the same tips here, but I tried out different star shapes, and experimented with the little basket weave. I'm sure I will get better at it over time, but I was so excited about how these came out that I saved a few and served them for dessert last night!

No comments:

Post a Comment