Friday, November 26, 2010

A Real Simple Thanksgiving

Yesterday was a Thanksgiving filled with the warmth and love that I often associate with Christmases long past. I didn't want it to end so I even slept at Mom & Dad's last night so I could maintain the magic as long as possible. It was an unexpected sweetness which I have learned in life are by far the best kinds of days. Nothing spectacular happened...nothing amazing...I was just reminded of how much I love my family.

As to the real simple side of things, I remember a Chicago day long ago when I was introduced to the magazine Real Simple. I had a roommate during Mission Year who had it delivered to our apartment. When the roomies questioned her about it's contents her reply was "Well, it's real. Real simple. You know?" (Which we, of course, did not know). I think that's what drew me to it years later when I had long returned to New England...I was amused by the house joke, but as I opened it's pages I discovered the awesomeness that is that magazine. It has amazing recipes (which of course are my favorite part of it!) but they also have organization and practical fashion tips and things. So, when I got my free trial November issue in the mail I had my sticky notes ready to pick out my contributions to Thanksgiving dinner.

My appetizer was stuffed mushrooms with spinach, garlic, gruyere cheese, and gluten-free breadcrumbs. I was going to take a picture but they were a hot commodity and I didn't snap one in time!

My side was sweet potatoes with parmesan cheese, toasted pecans and thyme. Mmmm...

Dessert was a flourless chocolate torte. It was so rich and yummy, I made sure to leave that one at my parent's house in order to save myself from the overindulgence :) photo of torte courtesy of my beautiful photographer cousin Missy Boudreau
All in all, a very real and simply warm Thanksgiving.

http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/stuffed-mushrooms-spinach-00000000044913/index.html

http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/sweet-potatoes-pecans-00000000044529/index.html

http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/flourless-chocolate-cake-00000000044848/index.html

2 comments:

  1. woah that missy boudreau sure nows how to take a nice picture. haa just kidding but i like your blog cuzzy. and your picture is good too :)

    ReplyDelete