Saturday, December 31, 2011

October 29, 2011

October 29's blogpost had been planned a long time...it was going to showcase my beautiful new (gently used) table. I was going to title the post, "Coming to the (new) Table." Well, two whole months have come and gone...that same night happened to also be a SNOWSTORM (yes, in October!) which made my dinner party a party of three instead of the intended party of 6. My guests stayed not only for the night, but also a few nights thereafter since I retained my power. But this is the photo recap of that dinner:
Ginger Butternut Squash Soup
Fig Balsamic-Glazed Duck with Pearl Onion and Pear Hash     

Gluten-free Swedish Apple Pie with Pumpkin Ice Cream



I prepared the 1st and 3rd course and the hash portion of course #2. I left the duck buying and preparing to my trusty sidekick. 

Funny thing we learned about duck...you have to de-frost it. And hypothetical You-Tube videos on things like "How to debone a duck" make you feel slightly mocked when your meat does not just slide off the bone...

And...duck spits. And...smokes up your kitchen...


And...I'm not always a nice girl because sometimes all I want to do in such situations is laugh and laugh.

Fun Night + Fun Friends= Fond Memories




The chef's duck wounds


No comments:

Post a Comment