Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Bacon Wrapped Mahi Mahi & Balsamic Glazed Brussel Sprouts

Today, I realized that I'm not going to have much of a summer in terms of time off. While this is ok in the grand scheme of things since it will help me save money for that missions trip I want to take next summer, it does bring an element of stress. As I drove home in the rain thinking about work and an MIA contract, all I wanted to do was spend my afternoon watching movies and cooking. Sometimes you just have to treat yourself.

I also realized today, that I don't love to cook so as much as I like to eat tasty food. And so while the "cooking" part of today was pretty darn easy since Trader Joes did a lot of the work--it was also pretty darn tasty.

I began with my ingredients:

Trader Joes Uncured Bacon Wrapped Mahi Mahi Filets
1/2 pound Brussel Sprouts
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp Balsamic Glaze
1/8 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 tsp water
cooking spray

  • Brussel sprouts are so cute! I have never cooked brussel sprouts before so I'm not sure if I wasted extra parts or not, but I cleaned them up and halved them like so:

That's my awesome ulu knife. Best kitchen utensil ever.

  • I set the oven to 475 to preheat and put the halved brussel sprouts into spray coated baking dish with the olive oil, salt, and pepper.

I put the Mahi Mahi in first for 12 minutes, flipped it and then put the brussel sprouts in with it for 17 minutes. The fish said it should be cooked on the bottom shelf, and so while nothing was burning, things did get a bit smoky. Luckily it was a cool and rainy day, so all the windows could be opened wide! I took the fish out a bit earlier than the brussel sprouts as they still looked super crunchy.

  • When you take the brussel sprouts out (make sure they are browned a bit & softened), you mix the water and balsamic glaze together and drizzle evenly over the top of the sprouts.
The tasty results:


I feel much more relaxed after an afternoon in the kitchen and a fun movie. Sometimes it's the simple things in life...

No comments:

Post a Comment