Friday, July 15, 2011

Four Day Furlough Part 2

Newport, RI

I know it's almost a week later...but I have been taking a vacation from technology! I figured I better finish the rest of last weekend's four day furlough before I head off on a new adventure this weekend.

Saturday took me and one of my best friends into Rhode Island. We parked our car at a pretty cheap lot and set off on foot to discover the sights. I had only ever been to Newport in the winter, so I was amazed at how hoppin' it is in the summer. We walked around most of the day and because of the HEAT at one point in there we felt like we were melting. We managed to foot it from the harbor to one of the mansions, and take a look around. Some older folks were playing cricket out on the back lawn and I couldn't imagine a more perfect thing to be doing an an exorbitantly huge house! I think in our minds we always think that the 20's must have been so fun with it's Gatsby-like parties and whatnot, but let's be honest here-- how many of our family members would have been serving the people at the parties? Although, everyone sure did know how to dress up. I see pictures of my grandma even in the 40's and she is gorgeously dressed in every one. I don't know if I'd love that or am so thankful to be able to throw on my jeans and flipflops!


Chateau sur mer
 
One thing I loved about Newport was the beautiful hydrangeas everywhere!












We headed to our hotel, one I would completely recommend, The Carriage House Inn, cleaned up and then headed back out for dinner. We ate at The Pier Restaurant on the harbor and had so much fun having a girls night out. I decided to be adventurous and try the bass special. It was a taste very similar to tilapia and mahi mahi-- my favorites. The waitstaff was attentive without being uncomfortably over attentive, and for once my face didn't turn red when I asked what the sweetest wine was on the menu. The place was busy but it's one of the few times I've ever sat at a middle of the room table and didn't get bumped every few minutes. It was a very enjoyable time.

Bass with Carrot puree and roasted asparagus & tomatoes. Yum!
Our trip wound down Sunday with a leisurely morning and afternoon at the harbor beach, and a stop at Newport Vineyards on the way home. Their wines are fantastic! The tasting is for 5 wines and out of the ones I tried, I loved 4 of them. I think that's saying something. The flavors are so fresh that even if they are not sweet, they just feel...clean..and I like that. I ended up purchasing two wines, Rising Tide and Great White. One thing I felt was a sweet wedding or special occasion idea that they do is make special labels for their wines tailored to your event. I may be returning for future occasions! If we weren't tired from our weekend, there is another vineyard closeby that I'd like to try another time.

All in all, a wonderful mini-vacation!



No comments:

Post a Comment