Monday, July 11, 2011

Happy Birthday America!

July 4th has come and gone, but I figure it's not too late to post about it. I made a few days of fun out of it, starting with the traditional 4th of July picnic. My contribution to the family picnic was Quinoa Fruit Salad:

Bunch of fresh chopped mint (from Mom's garden)
1/4 cup vanilla yogurt
2 tbsp. orange juice
1 package sliced strawberries
2 kiwi fruit sliced
1 can rinsed mandarin orange sections
2 cups cooked quinoa

Mix the orange juice, mint, and yogurt together to make a "sauce". Mix the cooled cooked quinoa and fruit together and mix the dressing over it. (I used 1/3 cup of chopped mint and I felt like that was a little bit too much. Next time, I'll use less.) Cool covered for 2 hours, serve, and enjoy!

I took my six year old cousin home for the night and the next morning we headed off to the Springfield Museums the next day. I was super excited to see a dinosaur exhibit at the science museum and we got to be virtual dinosaurs fending for ourselves through the Cretaceous Period. We managed to make it to 4 museums looking at fun things including a mummy sarcophagus, Indian motorcycles, Greek sculptures and more. He was so precious letting me know, "Tell me about it, I have to learn things while I'm here you know." He made my teacher's heart proud. Here's his happy dance in the Wood Museum of Springfield History:

Upon returning home, I figured it was high time to use my creamer potatoes and garlic scapes to make a simple and delicious meal. I wasn't quite sure when I bought them what creamer potatoes were, so I went to the ultimate source: Wikipedia. They say they are small potatoes, softer than normal picked before they are fully mature. What I had on my hands were these:
The little black ones were purple and finger staining when cut open. I stirfried them up with the garlic scapes, and fresh chives (another fun find in Mom's garden). It was too hot to heat my kitchen cooking chicken or fish, so I quickly fried up some eggs. The result: fancy breakfast for dinner:


No comments:

Post a Comment