Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Birthday Christmas Dates

I remember being a little girl and loving to sit in the dark living room with our Christmas tree as the only light in the room. It was a funny thing because it was actually the only time of year we used our "living room". It didn't often see so much living. We had a den for that. The living room occasionally turned into a dance parlor with Dad or the place where you could find the record player and play such favorites as Bill Cosby's Himself,  Rainbow Bright's Adventure, orCCR (oddly enough..just as I typed this a group is singing "Down on the Corner" on the TV). But at Christmas, it was the room where the lights painted a mosaic on the ceiling. It reminded me of impressionism, the colors making soft patterns of peace. I still love Christmas trees, even though mine needs to be fake due to the pine allergy, but I try to put it up as early as possible and take it down ridiculously close to Valentine's Day.
This season has been filled with busyness and Christmassy festivities. There will be another fun filled night tomorrow as my friend has a Christmas Cookie exchange party for her birthday :). I decided I would try and go both gluten and sugar free with my recipe and even though I baked it for the time I was instructed, they were a little black on the bottom. Regardless, they are mighty tasty. I think I may try again another time with a few less baking minutes and I think they will be perfect.
Banana Date Cookies
The cookies are a mix of 1/2 cup chopped dates, 2/3 cup chopped pecans, 3 mashed bananas, 1/2 C olive oil, 2 cups GF oatmeal, and 1 tsp vanilla extract. You make little balls and flatten them a bit and bake for (a little less than!) 20 minutes at 375 degrees :) Try them..they are like banana bread--but better!

No comments:

Post a Comment