Thursday, December 30, 2010

Souper Duper

This is my second re-make of this amazing soup. The first time I made it, I took it to school to share with my co-teacher, who in her very New Haven Italian girl way said, "That soup is bangin!'". It still makes me laugh right out loud.

Today, I had the amazing blessing of being able to shop at Whole Foods with freedom from financial worry. I received the most thoughtful gifts from my classroom, one in the form of a substantial giftcard to Whole Foods. I fancied myself a Top Chef contestant as I browsed the choicest of shiitake mushrooms for this soup, and then had my choice of which manchega cheese I thought would go best without regard to it's cost. I chose the sheep's milk one from New Jersey, only because the one from Spain was more aged and that tends to bother my migraine sensitive head. I also was able to purchase all the GF flours and ingredients I will need for my January challenge to myself (more on that later)...

This soup was as wonderful as I remembered. My friend added the salad as his addition to the dinner with two kinds of craisins (pomegranate and cherry), as well as dried strawberries. We topped it with Brianna's poppyseed dressing, which if you haven't tried it, is the very best kind there is.

The soup comes out a combination of creamy and chunky, with the cheese just sticking to your spoon the further through the soup you go. This recipe is from my favorite soup book Super Duper Soups by Michael Van Straten. The book talks of the healing qualities of ingredients, this soup especially good for it's immunity boosting shiitake and mood-enhancing combination of mushrooms and cheese. Mmmm.....Super Duper!

No comments:

Post a Comment