Saturday, February 5, 2011

Cardamom Creations


Cardamom Spice Cake with Chai "Buttercream" Frosting
 Have you ever wondered what spice it is that makes chai taste so delicious? Usually we can identify the clove or the cinnamon, but it's cardamom that really makes chai so great. It is equally as great inside a gluten-free & vegan spice cake.

Last time I attempted something out of Flying Apron's Gluten-Free & Vegan Baking Book I ended up with a thick brick of bread. This time however, I was much more successful. They make their cake a three layer cake, while mine is only two layers due to my only having two round baking tins. The rest of the batter went into cupcake tins, which allowed me not only to have SO much fun playing with my frosting gun while decorating the cake but the cupcakes too! I shaved some unsweetened bakers chocolate on top to make it prettier. The frosting was a chai "buttercream" frosting made with coconut oil, organic powdered cane sugar, chai, cloves & cardamom. Very rich, and very delicious.

It was fun to make a cake just for the sake of making one. I think that the next cake I'll try out of Flying Apron's will be their Coconut Heaven cake.

What good is cake if you can't share it? I was afraid that the snow would ruin my weekend plans, but I was pleasantly surprised. My brother and sister-in-law came to visit with the boys. Kathleen enjoyed the cake, and I was happy to have her to share it with.

1 comment: