Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Back to School

Yesterday I went back to school. I am blessed in my job, love teaching a group of children who love to learn and who are so excited about it. I especially enjoy when the lessons that I carefully plan, and make special trips to the library for are well received. It's a gratifying time as an educator. My co-teacher went on maternity leave though, and I miss her terribly, and while her long-term sub ( as in, until this school year ends) is very sweet and kind, adjusting to a new routine that isn't quite as easy and laid back as it used to be is certainly challenging. Also with back to school comes the hunger that comes when work is done. Therefore, I wanted quick and easy, with leftovers for lunch tomorrow. What you see here is a sweet potato, black bean and spinach quesadilla.

I adapted the recipe a bit from this site: http://gluten-dairy-sugarfree.com/?p=1606

Instead of shredding up the sweet potatoes in a food processor (don't even get me started on the those), I peeled a sweet potato, sliced it thin, and put it in a bowl with a little water and popped it in the microwave for 3 minutes. In the meantime, I cooked up some onion and garlic in olive oil, added the sweet potatoes (minus the water) and added the oregano, cumin, chili powder, and salt. I added in the spinach with a bit more olive oil and the warmed beans and cooked them up all together. I used some Food for Life brand brown rice tortillas and warmed the tortilla and spread the mixture on the other side of the tortilla. The result= dinner in less than 20 minutes, a full belly, and lunch for tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment