Saturday, January 8, 2011

When life gives you bricks...

...make stuffing?

 Last weekend, I tried out my first recipe from Flying Apron's Gluten Free & Vegan Baking Book. I attempted to make Sweet Potato Rosemary Bread. Oh, how domestic I felt as I had the bread baking in the oven and I went about my business cleaning the house. All I needed was the apron...

When it came out, it looked like this:

Sweet Potato Rosemary Brick
When I tried to cut it open, it crumbled into pieces and was pretty dense. But I wasn't going to let those ingredients go to waste. I knew that my cousin Bryana and her Tony were coming later in the week to talk to my friend Kurt about law school. I decided to make my Thursday meal include stuffing and some meat in a crock-pot (since I knew I wouldn't have time to really cook and prepare when I got home from work). Late Wednesday night rolled around and I was so tired as I called my Mom and asked her for the fourth time, "Now, how exactly do I make stuffing again?" What I did was cook up some reconstituted dried shiitake mushrooms, grated carrot, onion, and minced garlic in olive oil. When it was browned, I added some chicken stock on top of it to make it a liquid. That got poured over the broken up 'bread' pieces, and I mixed it good with my clean hands to make sure it all got in there. I added the rest of the box of chicken stock and continued breaking up and mixing. When it was all moist and spongy I put it in the fridge and took it out to bake for an hour on Thursday when I came home.

Around 6:00, I took a look at the stuffing, stuck my fork in and took a little taste. I was horrified. Apparently, very dry bread makes very dry stuffing. But, I took a half cup of water and poured it over the top of the stuffing, hoping it would sink into it like a sponge. It did!! (happy little jig)

I completely forgot to take a picture of the rest of the dinner I had made, but it was apple & barbecue spare-ribs in my new timed crock-pot, with french cut green beans with some grated almonds & garlic. In spite of the bread brick, I was still feeling domestic, so below is a picture of my set table waiting for it's guests.

Sweet Potato Rosemary Stuffing!


1 comment: