Thursday, January 27, 2011

Prime Time for an update

So, I've gotten some queries about my lack of blogging as of late. Some difficult personal stuff followed by a 6 day long silent migrainey dizziness will do that to a girl. Then, when I finally sit down to it, I can't decide which thing I want to blog about. So, as a result, I will try and make this a culmination of all the things that I've been meaning to write down and haven't quite gotten to yet...

In the last 11 days I have:

1. Gone snowshoeing for the first time! ( I wish I had brought my camera as my Mom and I trudged through the snow to the crystal clear beautiful Swift River at Quabbin last Saturday) Snowshoeing is hard! But SO much fun. I hope to go again very soon.

Imagine a 2 and  3 candles right at the end of the red dots
2. Made a cake for my friend Sarah's 23rd birthday. She is a bit of a math geek (math teacher!) and loves her some prime numbers. This birthday was her golden birthday 1/23/2011 all of which happen to be prime...as a result, she wanted a prime number cake-- what you won't see int he picture is the 23 made with number candles at the end of the red dots. I forgot to take a picture with the numbers on :) 

3. Hosted a dinner for some oldie but goodie friends. I've missed them a lot and it was nice to catch up. We tried taking a nice picture of our time together and Steve didn't want to have his eyes closed...so as a result, you have this:


For dinner, I made some chili in the good old crock pot, and while I've made chili before, I need to confess that I really don't like chili all that much. However, I do like this chili! It's really easy: one can of black beans, and one kidney bean can, a diced up sweet potato, onion, garlic, and chicken spinach sausage cooked up with casings removed. The spices were cinnamon, cocoa powder, cumin and chili powder. I pretty much followed this recipe, with a few changes: http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/slow-cooker-vegetarian-chili-with-sweet-potatoes-00000000049528/index.html. I also made it earlier this week except that I didn't have a can on tomatoes on hand, so instead I used a jar of sun-dried tomatoes, a tad bit of red sauce, and water and decided that measuring out ingredients was over-rated :).

With it, I made some cornbread. This Gluten-Free Cornbread is super easy (even if it did have a bit of sugar): 1 cup cornmeal, 1 cup brown rice flour, 1/3 cup sugar, 2 tsp. baking powder, 1/8 tsp. xanthum gum, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1 beaten egg, 1/4 cup canola oil, and 1 cup almond milk.    Spray the muffin tins with oil and bake at 400 degrees for 17 minutes. Delicious! Crispy on the edges and soft in the middle.
For dessert, I was still rocking the avocado black bean brownies, this time with some FrozenTangy vanilla frozen yogurt, and Stonewall Kitchen's Raspberry Balsamic jam drizzled on top.

My $2.50 steal of flowers to cheer me up in the difficult days!
4. Was truly blessed by the grace of God, and the love of my friends.

Flowers from Jenny to cheer me up in the dizziness :)

                             * Loved * Beloved * Encouraged * Hopeful * Strengthened *





No comments:

Post a Comment